Focus of event
- Help learners explore the alternatives to full time HE study, including part time study, distance learning and work based learning.
- Build up knowledge about the alternatives to HE so they can explore particular options in greater depth.
- Encourage students to reflect on their progression path.
How it will aid progression
- The activity allows students to think about all the possible progression paths available to them, which should then feed into thinking about which path is best suited to them.
- Students are empowered to think carefully about whether full time HE study is right for them.
Delivery suggestions and advice
- Consider contacting Alumni who have studied within higher education but didn’t take the traditional route. Ask them to come back and talk to your students about their own experience.
- Contact an HEI that offers part time or distance courses or even degree apprenticeships and ask them to come and talk to your students about these options.
- There are a lot of useful websites that can help with further information, for example www.notgoingtouni.co.uk or www.getingofar.gov.uk provide information on higher and degree apprenticeships.