Focus of event
- To give students the opportunity to reflect on their first year in secondary school and to look forward to the next rung on the ladder.
- Introduce students to the idea that Higher Education exists.
- Raise pupil awareness of what Higher Education is.
How it will aid progression
- Allow students to realise they have started the journey to their future.
- Raises aspiration by discovering the world of Higher Education.
- Encourage students to think about in more detail and then to share their future aspirations.
Delivery suggestions and advice
- A great way to facilitate this is to visit a Higher Education institution. Students can tour the campus and meet student ambassadors who are currently studying there.
- Contact a number of universities, explaining what you want to do and asking if they can support. You can find contact details for all HE in London’s partner HEIs on our HE Providers section.
- Discuss with the HEI whether they already work with Key Stage 3 pupils and find out about what activities they can offer. Use it as a chance to discuss what options would be appropriate and engaging for your students.
- Think about visiting a campus or city based university, ask if the students can have a tour of the facilities (including accommodation, lecture theatres, student union etc).
- Think about the jargon used (such as “Fresher”, “Halls”, and “Semester”) and how it will be explained. Consider compiling a glossary of HE terms to take back to school.