Focus of event
- Either in Year 8 or Year 9, your students will be asked to choose their options for GCSE. This is a great opportunity to link in an event on Higher Education and highlight why it’s relevant to them now.
- Raise student aspiration to think about their future after GCSEs and how their choices now might impact on their future.
- Encourage students to think carefully about their different subjects, what they enjoy, what challenges them and why.
- To introduce students to different connecting subjects at university and what they can offer them.
How it will aid progression
- Allows students to reflect on their subjects and learning journey, and to raise their aspirations.
- Encourages students to make more informed choices for their GCSEs.
- Supports students to look forward to the next step of their education with positivity and ambition.
Delivery suggestions and advice
- Contact a number of different HE providers (remember that colleges as well as universities provide HE courses), and explain that you are running an event to support your Year 8s as they choose their GCSE options, and that you would like to build in a session on HE and why it’s relevant at this point.
- Ask the HEIs for advice on how they’ve delivered similar sessions in the past and how they can support you.
- Discuss with HEIs how they can bring interesting context about what it’s like to study different subjects at university and how they can help to “spark” students’ interest in their choices.
- Remember that a list of all HE in London’s partner HEIs can be found on our HE Providers section of the website.
- If your school waits until Year 9 for students to make their GCSE choices, then this can run just as well for Year 9s.