Focus of event
- To raise students’ awareness of the expectations and requirements at Key Stage 4.
- The importance of reaching their potential at Key Stage 4 as a springboard to progression.
How it will aid progression
- Emphasises the importance of taking ownership of their future and learning.
- Provides learners with skills and techniques to support their Level 3 learning.
- Motivates students to improve their engagement with learning.
Delivery suggestions and advice
- A great way to facilitate this is to visit a Higher Education institution or ask if HE staff and/or ambassadors can deliver a workshop in school.
- Contact a number of universities and colleges who provide HE courses, explaining that you would like an HEI to support your Year 9 students. Try to have as much useful information to hand as possible, such as number of students, what GCSEs they’ll be taking, range of abilities. You can find contact details for all HE in London’s partner HEIs on our HE Providers section.
- You might like ask HE student ambassadors and/or HE support staff to consider workshops on note taking skills, presentation skills, revision techniques, research skills etc.
- Discuss with the HEI what previous experience they have in running similar workshops, and what success they have had. Ask about what pre-planned activities they have that would be appropriate or whether they would deliver a bespoke session.