Focus of event
- To give students the opportunity to consider their move from primary to secondary school.
- Encourage students to think about where they are now and the journey ahead through GCSE’s, post 16, further/higher education and into the world of work.
- Encourage students to make the connection between where they are now and where they could be in 7 years’ time when they leave compulsory education.
How it will aid progression
- Allow students to realise they are at the start of a journey, that there is a series of steps they can take to determine their future.
- Help students to realise the opportunities are there for them to take, they will be supported but it is up to them what journey they take.
- Introduce students to the idea of continuing to study post compulsory education.
Delivery suggestions and advice
- A great way to facilitate this is to partner-up with a university or college to host some of the sessions/a day, as part of your transition work with primary schools.
- Contact a number of universities, explaining what you want to do and asking if they can support. You can find contact details for all HE in London’s partner HEIs on our HE Providers section.
- Discuss with the HEI whether they already work with Primary/Key Stage 3 pupils. Ask if they have ‘an-off-the-shelf’ activity that would be appropriate or would they tailor-make a session.
- Discuss whether to hold the event at school or at the university or college campus.