Focus of event
- Gives students the opportunity to sample student life at a university and can motivate them to work hard to achieve their potential.
- Encourages students to think about what they would like to get out of going onto HE and consider what factors are important to them when choosing the right subject and university or college for them.
How it will aid progression
- By physically being at a university campus and being immersed in student life, students are given the opportunity to see if higher education is something they would like to progress onto.
Delivery suggestions and advice
- Most universities offer some kind of Summer School experience students can take part in. These can range from subject specific schools or more general university life, and are often residential so students can experience staying in halls of residences.
- Summer Schools, as the name suggests, take place over the summer vacation but students will need to apply much earlier on in the year to get a place. Many also have eligibility criteria, depending on the type of summer school it is.
- The HE in London website lists forthcoming summer schools. These are also accessible on individual university websites and the university of London website (http://www.london.ac.uk/).
- It is advisable to look out for summer schools available at the start of the year in September for those taking place in the summer of the following year.