Focus of event
- To invite all Year 11s who will be progressing to your sixth form or college next year, to attend a “Transition to Post-16 Learning” day or half-day.
- Run induction activities for the students to help introduce them to the school/college (if new), and provide resources and information about what it will be like to study at post-16 level.
- Use this opportunity to raise their awareness about making choices for higher education, and build it in to the theme for the rest of the session.
How it will aid progression
- Highlighting how close they are to having to make their choices for higher education can help to focus their transition to post-GCSE learning.
- Including activities that aim to contextualise post-16 education, alongside the opportunities presented by higher education, can help to aid transition and progression.
Delivery suggestions and advice
- Contact a selection of HE providers to discuss with them the different ways they can support this event. Make sure you contact HEIs at the earliest possible time.
- Make sure that you have as much useful information about the cohort of students, what they will be going on to study, the size of groups, dates and length of the event.
- Consider asking the HEI if they can bring student ambassadors with them to support the delivery of the sessions.