Focus of event
- To give students the opportunity to consider whether Higher Education would be the right choice for them.
- Raise awareness of who goes to university, what they do there and why they are there.
How it will aid progression
- Encourage students to visualise themselves at university.
- Let students develop a better understanding of what is required to go, what it involves, and the range of courses available.
- Inspire students to aim higher and motivate them to persevere with their studies, especially in subjects they struggle with.
Delivery suggestions and advice
- A great way to facilitate this is to visit a Higher Education institution or ask if HE staff and/or ambassadors can deliver a workshop at your school.
- Contact a number of universities, and explain that you would like an HEI to support activities for your Year 9 students. You can find contact details for all HE in London’s partner HEIs in our HE Providers section.
- You might like to consider including information for students on fees and finance, the cost of student living and the support available. As well as the different routes students take to get to university, including the support available for disabled and SEN students.
- Discuss with the HEI what experience they have in working with Year 9s and what they’ve found to be successful. Ask if they have pre-planned activities that would be appropriate or if they can tailor-make a session for you.