Focus of event
- Allows students the time to reflect on their current skills and experiences and to start to think how they can reference these in a CV or a personal statement.
- Encourages students to think about additional activities they can take up in the coming year to help enhance their experience and improve their transferable skills.
How it will aid progression
- This activity helps students to think about what they are currently doing to develop themselves, both academically and socially, in preparation for HE and/or employment.
- It’s important that students applying to courses that require specific work experience, such as nursing and health care, are given the support to secure the work placements as soon as possible.
Delivery suggestions and advice
- Encourage others within the school or college to help facilitate this session. If you are a school that has a social community or a college with a student union get someone to come in and talk about what students can gain from getting involved (Young Enterprise, volunteering etc.).
- Contact a number of universities, explaining what you want to do and asking if they can support. They may have some Student Ambassadors who can talk to your students about extra curriculum activities. You can find contact details for all HE in London’s partner HEIs on our HE Providers section.