The Languages Challenge is open to all students in Years 8, 9 and 10.
The Languages Challenge is a co-curricular project aimed at supporting students develop independent and collaborative learning skills in language studies. In that sense it is unique. Most collaborative learning projects are science or maths based. Few focus on the humanities. The Challenge's focus on language skills and cultural awareness is very special.
But that is not all. The Languages Challenge also asks students to be creative.
Creativity and collaboration are the skills young people will need in the future, according to Nesta and other educational experts. Creativity and collaboration will prepare students make the transition to a future economy based around a robotic workforce.
The Languages Challenge can make an impact on students' learning skills, language skills, cultural awareness, ability to work collaboratively, and creativity. The Languages Challenge has also the potential to positively impact on students' academic achievements.
This activity provides an opportunity for learners to:
- apply and develop their existing knowledge of foreign languages through active learning
- use and improve their speaking and listening, reading and writing skills in foreign languages
- explore new languages and their culture with school mates, family and friends
- practice team work, collaborative learning and use their creativity whilst drawing on a range of skills and
- understanding how languages apply to ICT, Geography, Languages, Science, Food Technology, Art and Design, English, Music, etc.
Following last year's feedback and suggestions we have :
- Created a ‘make-your-own’ task. Following the enormous feedback from students who wanted to think outside of the box, we now give teams the opportunity to design a task themselves!
- Put a bigger emphasis on creativity. It is important that teams use their own initiative and be as creative as possible, it makes the task much more enjoyable for teams and judges.
- Asked teams to focus more on teamwork. This is a team effort and we want the tasks to reflect the hard work and ideas of everyone in the team.